TALLADEGA SCENIC HIGHWAY ON MT. CHEAHA ~ ALABAMA ~ photo taken by Dianna Stover
All material posted here is the original property of Lady R, author of this blog, unless linked from another source or otherwise noted. All material and photos not to be reprinted without permission.

Monday, June 7, 2010

PIC OF THE WEEK - TALLADEGA NATIONAL FOREST

During the Memorial Day weekend, we had a terrible forecast for Saturday, so Harley and I decided to do something we haven't done in years. We loaded up Big Blue (my F150 4X4) and took off to the Talladega National Forrest and climbed over Rebbecca mountain.

TALLADEGA NATIONAL FOREST - REBBECCA MOUNTAIN

There's an old washed out fire road that connects Hwy. 77 to Hwy. 148 near Millerville. When I say washed out... I mean Grand Canyon sized gullies and craters that made maneuvering the truck very slow and interesting. A couple of times, I even had to get out to see if our wheels were even going to make contact with some tangible earth. It took us two and a half hours to ride over 18 miles of fire road. I could kick my own butt now for not getting any pics of the road, but I did get some pictures of the beautiful flowers of the forest.

During our little adventure, Harley and I reminisced over the good ol' days when we used to drive an old '75 Ford Courrier through the woods in Meridian, Ms, just to see how many ditches we could take it through. Good wholesome redneck fun! Woo Hoo!

I have to admit... I'd much rather be cruising the highways on two, but every once in a while it's nice to have fun with four. Have a great Monday everybody!

Lady R

11 comments:

Learning to Golf said...

Great pictures, but I'm disappointed you didn't add one of Big Blue.

Willy D said...

“so Harley and I decided to do something we haven't done in years”. Wasn’t sure where you were going with that. My minds always in the gutter. I thought 4-wheeling was when you took two bikes.

Lady R (Di) said...

AZD... well, just stand by then, that can be arranged. Big Blue is like and ol' trusty friend and doesn't let you down. I better not talk too much about him or he'll start acting up. Maybe I can get the ol' girl to move over a little bit next time and let Big Blue get in on the pic.

Webster... thank you. I hope you did too.

Willy D... Well, according to you then, hubby and I are 4-wheelin' all the time. Actually, it was like family day cause our two little guys (Bandit and Joker) got to ride along. LOL!

FLHX_Dave said...

I miss my F-150...good times, good times. I recall all those hot summer night in the bed of the truck just getting it...oops, sorry, almost got carried away.

Nice picts. Getting along with mother nature, now that is where it's at.

Lady R (Di) said...

Dave... you... carried away? NEVER!! LOL!

Mother Nature can be a wicked bitch sometimes, but when you see get off the roads and really look around, you realize how her influence makes everything so beautiful.

We had a good time rompin' in the woods, but ridin' my Glide still takes precedence over everything else. There's still nothing better than to be one with the road and being on two just works better for me.

the rider said...

Nice tales, I enjoyed reading about the "Cruisin' fer critters", we have lots of rides and Day "JOLS" for animal welfare such as collecting food or raising funds for organisations such as the SPCA (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) so it was good to read about Justin, keep up the good stuff - Bikers RULE!

mq01 said...

still so amazing and green, ahhh, beautiful!!

Lady R (Di) said...

the rider... thank you, I appreciate your comments! I visited your blog and I really enjoyed looking at your pics. Seeing what it's like as a rider in another country is very interesting. My biggest curiosity is what the roads are like and what the scenery and landscape is like. One of these days... when my lottery tickets finally pays off, I may find out!
In the meantime we can still come together and a caring group of folks who rescue critters... at home and abroad. :)

Thanks for the visit!

Mq01... I love how you always notice our greenery! That's funny to me, and it got me to wondering if they even have grass in Cali. LOL! Come on down to Bama for a good dose of color whenever you want. I can show ya plenty!

Eve said...

Hi Lady R!
I know I've been here before but don't remember that you are in Alabama! Me too! What a beautiful gem we have here.
Have you been to Bucks Pocket? Maybe we'll run into each other out on the roads someday.

Lady R (Di) said...

Eve... your in a beautiful area of our state. Coincidentally, hubby and I are coming up to Ft. Payne for the 4th of July and going to ride around north Alabama and Georgia for a couple days for a little mini stay-cation. I looked up where Buck Pocket is and we'll be right there!

This is perfect... you'll have to let me know if there are any "can't miss" spots you want to share. Let's talk again!

Eve said...

Hi Lady R!
I'll be in NY State during the 4th but if you make it to Bucks Pocket make sure you hit High Falls right across the street! Both are worth the trips.
So glad to meet you and I hope to get down south to ride as well! Keeping in touch sounds perfect!