TALLADEGA SCENIC HIGHWAY ON MT. CHEAHA ~ ALABAMA ~ photo taken by Dianna Stover
All material posted here is the original property of Lady R, author of this blog, unless linked from another source or otherwise noted. All material and photos not to be reprinted without permission.

Monday, March 5, 2012

PIC OF THE WEEK - HAZARDOUS WATERS

Harley and I always found ourselves gravitating to the lakes and rivers when we rode our motorcycles around Alabama.  His granddaddy had lake house with a marina on Lay Lake in Shelby County and it was fun to go back to that area and look at all the changes and improvements that took place over the years. We often made our way to the dam as a rest stop and watched the fishermen.  This day produced some very brave folks as they maneuvered their little boats as close as they could for the best catch.

HAZARDOUS WATERS
 
 If you look very closely, where the red brick of the building join with the dam walls, you'll see a small boat with some fishermen... standing!  Okay... I'll blow it up for you.
  
VERY BRAVE FISHERMEN!
 I was nervous just watching them!  I decided right then and there, I would rather be riding a motorcycle on the road than manning that boat in these waters!

LAY DAM- SHELBY COUNTY, ALABAMA
I love to fish, but I think I'll stick to the bank... the water seems much calmer in this shot.

Have a nice week everybody!

Lady R (Di)

14 comments:

Webster World said...

Dams get me. Sister lives near an earthen dam. I SPEED when I have to pass by it.

Oz said...

Wow - those fisherman must really want some fish to get that close. That looks dangerous.

I love riding over dams. The views are great.

Trobairitz said...

Yep, motorcycling looks safer and more stable than that little boat too.

Kathleen Jennette said...

This is why fishing is called a sport :)

mq01 said...

yup, they do this off our crazy rocky coast up here. Eureka harbor is scary wet windy nasty, yet they're out there if they can stand. crazy.....

Unknown said...

I never thought of your average fisherman as crazy, but I'm going to revise that. I prefer a small boat, sunny day and a half-nap experience. Turgid water,well, they can keep it.

And riding next to water is the best, absolutely. Well, mountains are pretty solid, but last summer I rode in Minnesota and there were lakes so high that they ate the shoulders off the roads, it was like riding on the water, amazing.

Brady
Behind Bars - Motorcycles and Life

Unknown said...

Lady Di:

you are wise . . . I think I'll stick to the banks with you and look at those crazy fishermen from afar

bob
Riding the Wet Coast

Lady R (Di) said...

Webster... I can picture you doing that... cutting sideways glances over to the water the whole time too! Thanks for the visual! lol! Be brave... and quick!

Lady R (Di) said...

Motoroz... we have several around because we have so many rivers and lakes. We can pick any direction in which to ride and still be able to come across at least two in our travels.

They make great pit stops when riding around all day.

Thanks for visiting. Sorry it took me so long to come back and respond!

Lady R (Di) said...

Trobairitz... I would have been dumped already! I was never afraid of some of the situations I found myself in while riding... but looking at those guys scares me so much more. Kind of funny, heh?

Thanks for your comment!

Lady R (Di) said...

KT... I guess so!! I've been on the lake before during a Bass tournament, and those guys are out EARLY (before daybreak!) buzzing the water with their racing bass boats.

And people think bikers are crazy?? Pffffftt!

Lady R (Di) said...

MQ01... See my comment to KT. Do they have tournaments or are they just out pleasure fishing or making a living at it. The fishing industry can be pretty hazardous!

I lost an Uncle and a cousin to a fishing accident, three days before Christmas about 15 years ago. They were on a chartered boat with four other guys when their boat capsized and all were lost. They found everybody eventually, but it was days later, and in different area of the bay. They lived in Clalum Bay, WA.

I'd rather ride a motorcycle on the roads over fishing by a dam... any day!!

Lady R (Di) said...

Brady... I think both are pretty awesome. Riding next to water or mountains, that is. My trip to the Smokey's was some of my best riding ever. I would love to take it up higher, like the Bighorns or the Tetons, but I don't think that is going to be in my future.

I'm always seeing water when riding around our beautiful state. We have so many rivers, lakes and streams... it's like the weather in some places when they talk about rain. If you don't see one now, just wait... and one will appear before you know it.

Riding ON the water might be pretty cool. I think Jesus would like that. Let me know if it ever happens!

Lady R (Di) said...

Bobskoot... On the bank, you can have your cooler, a nice chair or blanket to sit on, and enjoy the peaceful surroundings of your fishing hole.

That's the way to enjoy a lazy day of fishing. ;}