TALLADEGA SCENIC HIGHWAY ON MT. CHEAHA ~ ALABAMA ~ photo taken by Dianna Stover
All material posted here is the original property of Lady R, author of this blog, unless linked from another source or otherwise noted. All material and photos not to be reprinted without permission.

Monday, March 12, 2012

PIC OF THE WEEK - BUTIA CAPITATA (PINDO PALM) AND THE OLD SENTRY

I've been holding on to a couple of awesome pictures of two really cool trees. Not just any trees mind you, but these two particular trees are very unusual and historical.  During one of my many visits to Panama City (my home away from home!) my friend and I took a ride down along St. Andrews Bay where these two mighty giants stood. I always knew I would be sharing them with you one day... so how about today.

BUTIA CAPITATA (PINDO PALM)
 The posted sign reads:
"This rare four headed palm, the only one of its kind known in the world, is dedicated to the people of Panama City.  It was relocated from the city’s water treatment facility on May 3rd, 1997. This was made possible by: City of Panama City/Department Leisure Services International Palm Society (Gulf Coast Chapter), Robert Reinheimer (coordinator/harvester), Deep South Crane, Kurt Schmidt (fabricator), City of Panama City Utility Dept., Panama City Rentals."

THE OLD SENTRY
 This heritage oak tree is estimated to be over 250 years old.  It was standing during the war between the states as if a sentry standing guard over old St. Andrews Bay. (If you were to walk past this tree to the fence, you would be looking out over the bay.)
 Standing underneath it and looking up gave you an amazing view of the fern life growing right out of the trunks.

Can you just imagine the history these two old trees have seen?  Especially the Old Sentry.  I wonder how many Civil War soldiers sat underneath that old tree and took a nap, or ate some chow.  Pretty neat if you ask me!

Have a great week everybody!

Lady R (Di)

4 comments:

Trobairitz said...

Wow, those trees are beautiful. Thank you so much for sharing. Mother Nature sure is a wonder.

Bitchy said...

Great pictures of some old trees... I seem to be attracted to rocks...Dont know why but every where I go I get pictures of rocks... Enjoy the trees, and the journey...;D

Lady R (Di) said...

Trobairitz,

Mother Nature is amazing, heh? I love looking at big old trees and imagining the history that took place in it's presence. For some reason that big old oak reminds me of old historical romance novels.

Thanks for stopping by!

Lady R (Di)

Lady R (Di) said...

Bitchy,

I agree, big ol' rocks are about as impressive as big ol' trees! I love how giant boulders jut out of the earth throughout the foothills of our area. Sometimes they seem so out of place, but if they could talk, they would probably all have an interesting story.

Thanks for reading Southern Comfort.

Lady R (Di)