TALLADEGA SCENIC HIGHWAY ON MT. CHEAHA ~ ALABAMA ~ photo taken by Dianna Stover
All material posted here is the original property of Lady R, author of this blog, unless linked from another source or otherwise noted. All material and photos not to be reprinted without permission.

Sunday, November 9, 2008

LADY R RINGS HER BELL!

The Gremlin Bell
Legend has it that a small bell attached to your motorcycle, close to the ground, catches the Evil Road Spirits. The Little Gremlins live on your motorcycle causing all kinds of mechanical problems. The cavity of the bell attracts these Evil Spirits, but the constant ringing drives them insane and they lose their grip and fall to the ground. (Have you ever wondered where pot holes come from?)

Several weeks ago, I posted a story titled "The Invasion of the Road Gremlins". My tale of woes attracted the sympathy of fellow blogger and rider named Fasthair, who thought a bell of my own was definitely in order. Fasthair blogs from my home state of Iowa and writes about great rides and cool roads with beautiful pictures to show it. You should go and check out his blog sometime, you won't be disappointed. Well, coming to my point, Fasthair graciously presented me with my first bell, via US mail! Thank you T! I most humbly accept the honor you have bestowed upon me.

Making sure to follow the Legend tradition, I attached my new "Biker Chick Gremlin Bell" to the lowest point of my newly rejuvenated sweet old girl. My thoughts were smug, as I figured those nasty little gremlins, out there in waiting, were in for a big surprise. Standing back, looking at my new farkle, my mind was happily dancing with the sound of Inoj (pronounced... I know J) singing her 1998 song, "Ring My Bell". It seemed like the perfect taunt to my evil friends.

I felt like I had the upper hand now. Nothing left to do but ride! And ride we did, through country curves and sun filled highways. Confidence soaring through my inner core, that my ride will not be interrupted today, by the tomfoolery of those mischievous munchkins! I, myself, was enjoying the familiar purring of my sweet old girl moving us smoothly on down the road, while knowing the Gremlins could heard my bell, loud and clear! Taking each new turn with vigorous anticipation and enjoying the freedom of the open road, I pressed my machine on, only to realize I was singing out loud... "You can ring by bell... el... el. Ring my bell!"

Ride on and ride safe!

Lady R

11 comments:

Ann said...

Nice! I can't believe you were riding without a bell, LadyR! We have friends who were riding without a bell, and recently bought them one. I will never ride without a bell. Superstitious you say? Maybe.

Glad you're ringing your bell! :)

TRT said...

No bike is complete without a bell.

Willy D said...

Have never had a bell on a bike. Don't belive in voodoo, witchcraft or gremlins (except the AMC kind). Pot holes come from broken pots. If I crash tomorrow I'm blaming you and the bell fairy.

Anonymous said...

HMMM.... I wasn't sure about the hype from a store owner who tried to sell me a bell. The type of person you would suspect was a witch doctor of some sort trying to scare the crap out of me..

I may have to reconsider now and go back...

Lady R (Di) said...

ann... I can't believed I've survived this long without one. I'm all set now though!

trt... I'm sure those nasty gremlins heard me coming far and wide!

willy d... better look out, they're coming your way, to a pot hole near you! You probably don't believe in Santa neither, do you?

bam... I'm glad you didn't buy that bell. It doesn't work if you buy your own. Legend has it, your supposed to receive the bell from someone else who presents it to you as a gift. My brothers got around that one, when they each bought a bell in Sturgis and gave it to the other. LOL!

"Joker" said...

Since they say you're not supposed to buy your own, I never did. Bell-less, the GL made it to Milwaukee and back without so much as a flutter, while two other Big Twins fell victim to the Gremlins. I don't think they had bells either.

Now I wonder if someone did ever give me one, would I bother?

Hmmmmmmm.

fasthair said...

Ms. R,

You are very welcome my friend!

While the legend of the ride bell is up to whatever a person wants to believe I look them a bit different.

I call them "buddy bells." Every time I hear (or look at) my bell ring I think of the friend who gave it to me. As such my friend is always along for the ride with me. My first bell was given to me by my friend Rob, which I lost when the piece of shit stole Silver. The one I have now, which just happens to be a 100th anniversary bell made by HD, goes perfect with my 100th anniversary bike. That one was given to me from a customer (Brain who is a rider too) gave it to me just a few weeks after getting Whiskey new. He's reason... so I would be around to still work on his cars :)

So take from a bell what you want or not. The important thing is to remember some one cared enough to give you some thing to think of them by and just maybe keep you safe at the same time. I’ve got a story of my Uncle and his buddy bell I’ll share one of these days.

fasthair

Lady R (Di) said...

I've been riding for about 3 years with no bell. But, after my run of gremlin luck, I became a believer! LOL! Besides, I like farkle.

Fasthair... Your right, I will think of you every time I see or hear my bell. Harley had some thicker flex ties, and we used them to attach the bell. He thought the small one may break, and I didn't want to lose my bell riding down the road. Thank you again friend!

Lady R (Di) said...

Joker the first comment above is for you. I forgot to address you. LOL!

Mr. Motorcycle said...

I'm not a believer in the bell either. To me It's like jinxing yourself. Besides I'm not superstitious.(knock on wood).

Lady R (Di) said...

Mr. M... Well, I have a few superstitions, and I certainly didn't think it could hurt anything. I'll keep my fingers crossed! LOL! Besides, it's like Fasthair said, he likes to consider it a "Buddy Bell", and it's there to remind you of the person who gave it to you.