TALLADEGA SCENIC HIGHWAY ON MT. CHEAHA ~ ALABAMA ~ photo taken by Dianna Stover
All material posted here is the original property of Lady R, author of this blog, unless linked from another source or otherwise noted. All material and photos not to be reprinted without permission.

Monday, August 16, 2010

KUDZU - THE VINE THAT ATE THE SOUTH

KUDZU - THE VINE THAT ATE THE SOUTH
Here in the south, cotton used to be king... until there was Kudzu! This fast growing vine was introduced here by Japan in 1876 and is very prominent all over the southeast United States. It grows so rapidly and covers anything in it's path, it's even earned the nickname "foot-a-night vine". Throughout the history of this wild vine, there have even been tales told of children being covered up by the vine in their sleep, so you don't want to leave your windows open!

While riding along the beautiful highways of Alabama, you'll see amazing displays of Kudzu as it grows wildly over everything in it's path. It's unusually pretty to see how the lush green growth can soften the appearance of a hard wooded tree line, or make an open field appear as though it's covered in a soft green blanket of vines.

I hope you all had a great weekend, and even though I hate wishing my life away, I'm looking forward to Friday again. Harley's uncle is going to let us use his lake cabin for the weekend and I can't wait. We'll probably be leaving the Glides at home but don't worry... they have Jet Ski's!!

Have a great Monday everybody!

Lady R

9 comments:

Eve said...

I'm new to Kudzu but hopefully wont see it in my yard! It can be beautiful!
Gliders or not, pictures would be great to see! Have fun!

Learning to Golf said...

Lake cabin and Jet Ski's......that sounds like a great weekend and you're excused for wanting it to get here quickly.

Willy D said...

Guess I’m not going camping around there. Reminds me of Gulliver’s Travels. Wake up and you’re tied down. Of course some people might like that ;)

Chris Beason said...

I'm in Arkansas and we have the stuff here too! You can cut it down but it grows right back.

Mr. Motorcycle said...

Looks like it's going to take over the world some day if it keeps growing at that rate!

IHG said...

Isn't it funny....I read about the Kudzu but then saw the cabin and jet skis part and was like...OH YEAH! FUN!!!! :)

Lady R (Di) said...

Eve... you may be new to kudzu, but I'm sure you've got plenty of it around. I think it's cool how it just lays over everything and makes it all look like a big green blanket, but I wouldn't want to have to control it!

AZD... It's hard to be disappointed that I won't be riding... when I'll be skimming across the water like a pebble! I can't wait!

Willy... Yeah... SOME people might. LOL!

Chris... Even though it dies down every winter, it's very hard to control. Good Luck!

Mr. M... If they start discovering kudzo in Minnesota... we're in big trouble!!

Lady R (Di) said...

IHG... I'm looking forward to a great weekend on the water. They also have a pontoon, (that I like to affectionately refer to as "the party barge"!) LOL!

Oz said...

Kudzo is pretty in ways, but I know that it really causes some problems for some people. It does make for some good pictures.