TALLADEGA SCENIC HIGHWAY ON MT. CHEAHA ~ ALABAMA ~ photo taken by Dianna Stover
All material posted here is the original property of Lady R, author of this blog, unless linked from another source or otherwise noted. All material and photos not to be reprinted without permission.

Monday, August 31, 2009

PIC OF THE WEEK

LIFE ON THE RIVER
Barges coming and going, depicting life on the river... just another day at the office!

These pics were taken by Harley while we rode across the Jamie L. Whitten Bridge which spans the Tennessee - Tombigbee Waterway. The waterway makes 459 miles navigable between the Gulf of Mexico and the Tennessee River and we crossed over it when we rode on the Natchez Trace Parkway.

Tune in tomorrow for my post, "A RIDE THROUGH HISTORY ON THE NATCHEZ TRACE". You can finally read about my adventure as we explored the entire length of trace. In the mean time... Have a nice Monday everyone!

Lady R

8 comments:

Mr. Motorcycle said...

Just like it never ceases to amaze me that a 747 can fly, I've always been amazed that fully loaded barges can float! Man there must be an awfully huge air ballast under water that we can't see from above!

Chessie (Chesshirecat) said...

My brother has been making his living on the barges that ply the river now for the last 20 years...I love to see the tow boats with their many barges in front...and I'm awed by the captain's ability to navigate a large string of them up and down the river...Amazing stuff...

GYMONR said...

I've got some people at working reading your post now...keep up the good work.
Big Al

mq01 said...

woohoo, beautiful. i cant wait to see more... :)

FLHX_Dave said...

Oh yeah! I want a big plate of Natchez! oh, wait...that was nachos. I'm sure your upcoming bits will be just as tasty...remember, I like alot of cheese please.

"roll'in, roll'in, roll'in on the river"

Baron's Life said...

LadyR...these are turning out to be an interesting series you're making for us...Barges have always fascinated me as well and like Chessie and Mr. M i am in Awe whenever I see them here on the Fraser River in Vancouver BC... These things are huge and move rapidly downstream as well as upstream...great stuff

IHG said...

I'm excited for more! :)

Lady R (Di) said...

Mr. M... I agree! That one barge looks likes it's holding large boulders. I never paid attention in science class either... or I may know the reason for these things!

Chessie... working on a barge looks like very hard work. We used to watch them go through the lock and dam at home. While watching the activity on a barge, the workers looked very small in comparison. They are huge!

Big Al... Well, thank you and your coworkers for all your support and encouragement. The pressure's on now! LOL!
I hope your trip is as rewarding for you as mine was for me! Have a great ride!!

mq01... I just posted the Trace adventure this morning. It's loooong. I hope you don't get too bored with it!

Dave... I pronounced it like Nachos too, until I heard the locals say Nap (without the p) chez. Ohhhhh, so that's how you say it, heh?.

The new post is up today. Extra cheese... but,hold the jalapenos please!

Baron... I'm glad your enjoying it. That simple 4 1/2 day trip has provided lots of blog material! I'll be sharing for a little while longer yet.

IHG... Thanks! More is coming! :)