TALLADEGA SCENIC HIGHWAY ON MT. CHEAHA ~ ALABAMA ~ photo taken by Dianna Stover
All material posted here is the original property of Lady R, author of this blog, unless linked from another source or otherwise noted. All material and photos not to be reprinted without permission.

Saturday, April 5, 2008

ATLANTA'S TORNADO

For those out there who follow my posts, you may remember the March 16th entry, that described my experience in Atlanta's tornado. My sister in law, who is a big Kentucky Wildcats Fan and a lover of basketball, sent me this picture to tell me why the SEC game was canceled that night.
Here is an excerpt of what was written about this unique shot.

"As an EF-2 tornado swept across downtown Atlanta, one local photographer snapped the shot of a lifetime.

Shane Durrance was on top of his condominium off Howell Mill Road when he saw the potential for a great photo of the downtown area. He took the photo just as 11Alive's Paul Ossmann was talking about tornado warnings in Atlanta.

Durrance, who is an acquaintance of Ossmann's, sent the photo to 11Alive and said he believed he'd missed catching the tornado on film. But after Ossmann reviewed the picture, he assured Durrance that he had indeed gotten the shot.

The picture shows a light-gray vertical strip of what looks like clouds connecting the cityscape to the larger clouds above. That is the actual tornado. Ossmann said it didn't look like the usual sort of funnel cloud because it was embedded in rainshowers at the time of the photograph. "

Pretty wicked photo, huh? I was in the Westin Tower during this mess, and after looking at this photo, I'm just thankful it wasn't a bigger storm! Lady R

11 comments:

FLHX_Dave said...

As destructive and scary that tornado may have been...that is a really cool picture. I still want to make the biker version of the Wizard of Oz.

"Joker" said...

I agree. Mother Nature's beauty is awesome even when she's good and pissed off.

Dave can have the biker version of Oz. Joker wants the Adult version. I won't say what's at the end of that yellow brick road!
I do have some pretty good ideas of who I want to play Dorothy and the two witches though!

Lady R (Di) said...

Yeah Dave, I think that pic may find itself in a frame. Too cool not to.

Joker, I'm afraid to ask! Is Monty helping?

"Joker" said...

Monty...nah who needs Monty? I'm plenty creative, believe me.

Dorothy won't be able to see her ruby slippers past her chest. The problem is, where am I going to find ruby slippers in 5" spike heel platforms?

The rest...yeah, you probably should be afraid to ask. I won't even go there! I don't want you turning on moderated comments!

Lady R (Di) said...

Joker, I'm sure if you'll look somewhere over the rainbow, you'll find what your looking for! LOL!

Anonymous said...

Glad you made it home safe. Keep a room open for us this summer. Lee and I decided that if hurricanes come this summer, we will ride it out at your house. I will bring the spaghetti noodles and we can have a good ol fashioned family gathering, minus about 40 cousins, aunts uncles etc...

Love Ya

Bucky

Lady R (Di) said...

Bucky - OMG! You found me! I'm so glad you made it to my comments!

You know, for you and the fam, there's always a room available! And nothing feeds an army better, than a big ol' pot of spaghetti!

I'm glad to know your out here, in blogoshpere. Come and visit me often! Love Ya Bro! Lady R

Lady R (Di) said...

Bucky - I forgot to ask. How's Africa?

Camron said...

I love a good storm. My wife Hates it. I once slept through a tornado blowing right down the street from our apartment. My wife woke me up to go to the basement, I told her I'd go when it got closer. It missed our building by about 200 feet.
Joker: Are you the tin man, the Cowardly lion, or one of the Flying Monkeys?
Inquiring minds want to know lol

"Joker" said...

LMAO! "...pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!"

Lady R (Di) said...

Hey Guys, Ronman said he played Uncle Henry in his high school play. Maybe he's available! I know three guys who can be the Lollipop Kids!