TALLADEGA SCENIC HIGHWAY ON MT. CHEAHA ~ ALABAMA ~ photo taken by Dianna Stover
All material posted here is the original property of Lady R, author of this blog, unless linked from another source or otherwise noted. All material and photos not to be reprinted without permission.

Monday, January 30, 2012

PIC OF THE WEEK - SMOKEY MOUNTAIN VIEW

Harley and I have been to the Smokey mountains many times on the Glides and it is one of our favorite places to visit.  The coolness of the mountain air would embrace you as you rode along the twisty curvy asphalt and provide some of the most breathtaking scenery ever.  I was perusing through some of our old trip photos and realized I was getting a renewed excitement to revisit these beautiful old mountains.  Now that we have a Jeep, I'm ready to find some new "out of reach" places that need exploring.


SMOKEY MOUNTAIN VIEW
Somewhere in the Smokeys.

Beautiful view!

It only takes us about 3 to 4 hours to reach our Tennessee/North Carolina playground, and I realize it's up to us to tap into all that wilderness.  We've been toying with the idea of a camping trailer, but a nice quiet cabin up the the Smokey Mountains sounds kind of nice too. Hmmmm... decisions, decisions. I know I'm not a fortune teller, but I see some mountainy explorations in our future.

Have a great week everybody!

Lady R

11 comments:

Jim P said...

To add some input to your travels, a jeep isn't big enough to pull much of a trailer. We have went the full circle---tent, truck camper,travel trailer, motorhome, tent, and now another motorhome.

It depends on what you like to do and the facillities available. I could get into many spots with my old blazer and a tent that were very private and next to a creek. For the others, a campground of some type was necessary.

I now have a 1 ton club cab 4x4 with a big block and look forward to exploring locally to begin with and other areas of the great state of Tenessee later.

If you like to spend time in one place and there is not much danger of vandalism when you're gone, a cabin would be the way to go.

Webster World said...

I just love going there too.

Trobairitz said...

Great pictures. I think camping sounds wonderful. Of course cabins can be a welcome sight after trekking around the mountains for hours.

Either way you can't go wrong spending time with hubby in the great outdoors

Oz said...

I visited the Smoky Mountains this summer for the 2nd time. Rode the Cherohala Skyway and other roads in the south NC/Tenn area. Beautiful place and great roads. Love your photos. Brings back great memories.

mq01 said...

oooooooooooh ahhhhhhhhhhh :D thanks for letting us enjoy it through you.

Bitchy said...

One of my favorite hide aways is the smokeys... I have camped, stayed in my fifth wheel, stayed in hotels...I think one time I slipped in my old van... Love the roads and the people... Always have had a blast there...

Lady R (Di) said...

Jim P,
If we had thought out the camping thing a little more before we bought the Jeep, we may not have bought the Jeep... and I'm glad we did.

You hit on an interesting point though, and that's vandalism. Leaving property unattended for as long as we would have to, might pose some problems.

I think we'll rent cabins for now, in different areas in the north Georgia area (around Dahlonega or Gainseville) during the summer and explore our options. We've always liked going up to the mountains, or the lakes, so we just have to see what's out there.

I would love to get a camper and travel around, but I'm not sure now. We do have a truck, but I would hate to leave the Jeep home on a camping trip. doh!!

Oh well, I'm glad we're not making any decisions today! :/

Lady R

Lady R (Di) said...

Webster... I'm just glad it's not so out of reach, so we can go and visit this beautiful place often. :)

Trobairitz... My hubby is not much of a roughin' it type, so cabins are much more enticing to him. I grew up camping in a tent, so for me it's just full circle back to my childhood. Not sure what's going to happen, but it will be fun trying to figure it out.

Lady R (Di) said...

Motoroz,
I love reading about the same places I have been on other blogs too. It's like... "hey, I recognize that place!"
I'm also very happy that I had the opportunity to enjoy the Dragon's Tail and the Cherohala Skyway when I did. It was one of my favorite rides and the memories and experiences I aquired during that time will stay with me forever. And if I ever forget... I can always get my pictures out! lol!

Lady R

Lady R (Di) said...

MQ01... Your welcome, my friend! Hope your knee is getting better! :)

Bitchy... I agree. I've been several different times now, and I do believe I could make it my home away from home.

While everybody else in our area wants to run to the beaches during any time off... we would rather head to the mountains!

Webster World said...

The beauty of the mountains is something.. You look out across them and see all this peace. You drive down in the valley's and it is beaming with life and some of the most interesting people. Love it.