TALLADEGA SCENIC HIGHWAY ON MT. CHEAHA ~ ALABAMA ~ photo taken by Dianna Stover
All material posted here is the original property of Lady R, author of this blog, unless linked from another source or otherwise noted. All material and photos not to be reprinted without permission.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

IN THE MEANTIME...

Author's note: I recently spent some time in Iowa, where I was able to gather my research for this post. I would also like to dedicate this post to my friend Dean... cause he loves the snow so much!

Living in the south has allowed me the ability to ride all year long and post my wonderful road miles for all my northern brothers and sisters to enjoy while they wait for Spring. I have been told by many of you, that you live vicariously through us warmer climate riders to help you get through the winter months. Believe me, there's nothing I would hate more, than looking at my beautiful ol' girl everyday and not be able to hop on and go for a spin. So in effort to help you snow covered bikers in the north, I've appointed myself activities coordinator to show you what you can do with your spare time while you wait for it to thaw.

SNOW FITNESS

It's real easy to get lazy and put on a few pounds during the winter, so one way to keep fit and healthy is shovel to the sidewalks! That's right. You heard me. Put your snow blowers away and go at it the old fashioned way. Shovel... shovel... and shovel some more! What a great way to build up your upper body strength while at the same time trying to keep ice crystals from forming in your lungs cause it's too frickin' cold to be outside! I haven't had to shovel snow in over 30 years, and I was reminded just how much fun this is. It's kinda like ridin' a bicycle... you just don't forget how!
Bonus tip: Angry at your neighbor? Just shovel your walks at the crack of dawn! Sccccrrraaaaape... foosh! Sccccrrraaaaape... foosh! Better than any alarm clock ever made.

HOW TO MAKE A BEAUTIFUL SNOW ANGEL
First... you have to find a nice little area of unmarred snow. Shouldn't be too hard, since ya'll have been getting plenty of it lately. When you've decided where you want your glorious creation to appear, turn your self around and plop down in the snow on your ass... being very careful not to touch the ground with your hands. Warning: Don't plop too hard... the snow is not as soft and fluffy as it appears. Ouch!

Second... Lay back in the snow, keeping your arms at your side and your legs straight. Ignore how cold it feels and resist the urge to hop back up. Yes, it will be slightly wet, but quit your cryin' (You can go in for hot chocolate in a minute).

Third... Keeping your arms flat on the ground, bring them up over your head as if you were making the letter "Y", then bring your arms back to your side. Act like a bird and flap your "wings" several times to make your impression on the snowy ground. Don't worry if snow falls into your coat sleeves, it'll just melt and make you wet. This is all part of the experience.

Fourth... Slowly and methodically, open your legs up wide (get your mind out of the gutter, we're makin' snow angels here!), pushing the snow with your thighs and calves as you go, then close them back together (besides... you'll melt the snow!). Repeat this step as many times as you feel necessary. Usually three or four spread eagles is enough for me. This too, will make your jeans wet. But don't worry, the wetness will freeze hard because it's only 6 degrees outside.

Fifth... Now here's the tricky part. Even though your cold, wet and your ass is frozen, you need to stand yourself up without using your hands. Once you've accomplished this somewhat challenging maneuver (with stiff icy jeans), gingerly step away from your newest creation, turn around, and behold...
... a beautiful snow angel!

EXPAND YOUR IMAGINATION
Look at me... I'm a reindeer! (or just another crazy chick with frost on the brain!)

Well... there you have it. Just a few ways to keep yourself busy while your snowed under with those pesky flakes. I feel very confident that this little guide will come in handy for many of you, and don't hesitate to write me for clarification on the proper technique for any of these activities. I'm happy to be of assistance!

I had a great time while visiting my family in Iowa during the Christmas and New Year holiday. I hope you can forgive me of my "tongue in cheek" version of dealing with winter... but I love the snow! I also realize it's because I don't live there anymore, so for me... it was a nice treat. I feel for those of you who have to deal with it for more than 10 days while on vacation, but they way I see it... there's plenty of room down here in the south if anybody wants to come join us. Otherwise... Spring is on the way!

In the meantime... I'm back in the south with no snow and warm temps. Since miles make smiles, I guess I'll go riding.

Lady R

15 comments:

Ann said...

I love this post. I have lived in the Phoenix area for 10 years now, and I still hate the snow. Thanks for the reminder.

And I used to LOVE pissing off the neighbor when shoveling snow...the neighbor was my sister. ;)

mq01 said...

as much as i love these pics, especially crazy chick pic, im DROOLING wanting to be riding in your 1st pic!!! damn, maybe i should move somewhere dry... ride on ladyR, ride on!!

FLHX_Dave said...

Alright...now I can honestly say I miss snow...whew...see how long that yearning lasted? I'm already over it.

I would be in Utah again if it were not for the snow. Maybe AZ is the place for me. It's looking better and better all the time.

Love the picts. I'll have to bank this info so that when I do run into snow that I'll know just what to do. Thanks!

Lady R (Di) said...

Ann... I thought you'd get a kick out of this. I know you like snow about as well as Dean does. LOL!

I had fun while I was there, but I wouldn't want to have to live with it very long anymore. I enjoy my warmish ways.

mq01... Harley took that pic of me while we were riding around the Camden, AL area last Feb. I remember it being a brisk 45 degrees that day! I guess I'll keep my happy ass right here in the south and visit the snow when I can.

Dave... I guess it's hard to get into the snow when you live at the lake. LOL!
You thinkin' of heading to Arizona? I feel for the wildlife. They don't know what's a comin'! Woo Hoo!

Canajun said...

LadyR, thanks for the effort, but it didn't help. Still looking out at a blizzard and freezing temps. Sigh...

Willy D said...

That was very thoughtful of you to dedicate this to “D-Day”. I’m sure he’ll return the favor, some day. Watch your back ;)

Learning to Golf said...

I'm glad it was you in that snow and not me. 49 is as cold as I want to be and I'm still sitting inside with a sweatshirt on.

Lady R (Di) said...

Canajun... well, can't blame a girl for tryin'! I feel for ya. I think I would go bonkers if I had to live those long cold white winters again. Hang in there and stay warm!

Willy D... Muwahahaha. I know! I'm sort of at a disadvantage too. Since I never had kids of my own, I never developed that other eye in the back of my head. If you hear of any secret plots beginning to form... let me know! ;}

AZD... LOL! It was fun... but it WAS cold!! I'm glad I live in the south now, no doubt. Hope the operation on Petunia goes well. I'll be thinkin' of ya.

Dean "D-Day" said...

I'm honored that you would dedicate a post to me. And how nice of you to be looking out for my happiness by suggesting such fun things to do while freezing my ass off.

(Better develop that second set of eyes soon. You'll never see it coming!)

IHG said...

Oh Di...Di.Di.Di.Di...lol! When spring comes this year I'm doing grass angels. No more snow...No more snow...No more snow!

Lady R (Di) said...

Dean... "You'll never see it coming!" A surprise?? Oh goody...I love surprises! I'm very happy you liked my cool and awesome activities guide. LOL!

While I was home, I was reminded just how fun all the snow games can be and I just wanted to share my enthusiasm with ya!

Now about that surprise... ;}

Steph... (giggle) Can ya help a sista out? Let me know if you hear any twisted plots of revenge from our cheese head friend, will ya?. Something tells me I'll be looking over my shoulder (or around my monitor) for a spell.

I had fun reliving some of my childhood memories with my playful antics, but I cannot lie... it was nice to get back to the warmer south. I'm hoping Spring comes soon for ya! I know your ready for some road miles and I can't wait to hear about your spring rides! In the meantime... I'll still share mine with ya. Take care!

Mr. Motorcycle said...

Not bitter, Nope, not me. Glad you got to play in the snow!

Did you put the get your mind out of the gutter in there especially for me. You know My mind went straight to it.

Webster World said...

Ours is all gone. But there will be more. Glad you had a touch of it. Reminds folks that left it behind why you don't miss it.

mrs rc said...

I firmly beleive that if can't enjoy snow then you have lost any sense of the child in you. I say re-claim your Peter Pan and go amke the best of it!

PS - I hate cold, and I get off work when it snows...so I just might have a slanted opinion! LOL

Lady R (Di) said...

Mr. M... I knew someone up there would appreciate this! BTW...I had to mention the gutter for myself... I got side tracked twice while writing that! LOL! Shew!

Webster... I had my fun, that's for sure. But it also reminded me of why I live in the south! :)

Mrs. RC... Yeah! "Find the Peter Pan in you"! I like that. I used to wake up and have my fingers crossed for snow days. They always meant sledding and hot chocolate!