TALLADEGA SCENIC HIGHWAY ON MT. CHEAHA ~ ALABAMA ~ photo taken by Dianna Stover
All material posted here is the original property of Lady R, author of this blog, unless linked from another source or otherwise noted. All material and photos not to be reprinted without permission.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

REUNITED... AND IT FEELS SO GOOD!

My 1998 Electra Glide Classic, has a little over 65,000 miles on her, so things are bound to wear out. After the gremlins plucked the life out of her in Panama City a few weeks ago, her immediate injuries were taken care of by a trusted local mechanic, who was really more, than just the nice voice on the telephone. The nice voice explained, that although I still had some timing issues, she's all ready to go. After getting the old girl out of the "hospital" so to speak with all her broken parts replaced with new, I decided she needed a "Rehab and Spa" treatment at the Harley Shop.

You know how it goes when you have a case of the "while you got it here..." syndrome. Well, after the Harley Shop addressed her timing issues and gave her an overall check, she got new front and rear tires, repacked bearings, front brakes, a general service, and time on the dyno machine with a brand new Power Commander! Oh... oh... ohhhh!

It's been almost two weeks since I relinquished my Glide to the "mechanical higher ups", so they could work their magic. I was soooooo ready to get back in the saddle again, that I only called to check on their progress about a half a dozen times during my forced sabbatical from riding. That wasn't too many, was it? It's pretty bad when you have your service department on speed dial! Finally, I got the old girl back around lunch time on Saturday, just in time to take her on a nice long Saturday afternoon reunion ride!

Harley and I took off and headed north toward Sylacauga, figuring we would just wander around in our old familiar territory. I was having fun, experimenting with my throttle, playing with the new brakes and just checking out things in general. My brakes felt tighter, my throttle response was quicker, and it felt over all smoother and faster. This bike already had a Stage one kit, and a Two-in-one Vance and Hines exhaust, so choosing the Mackie 500 cams and adding the Power Commander, just makes this bike sound and run like a dream!

I was happy that I could enjoy my newly adjusted sports seat too! We've had it as long as we've had the motorcycle, but it bowed my legs out so, that it put me on my tip toes. I wasn't comfortable with that, so I never used it. Well, I found an upholsterer who peeled back the leather, shaved down the foam on the side areas to reduce bulk and placed a softer foam there instead. He then just reattached the leather back to the seat frame. This alone gave me about two more inches, which was all I needed. The first few times I had to place my feet, I was securely down. Woo Hoo! No more bubble butt! Now my sexy girl has a newly trimmed rear end!

I've talked about enjoyable rides before, and shared pretty pictures of places we've been. But nothing gives a rider more enjoyment to being one with the road, than being one with your machine. Winding through the country roads enjoying my old girl's new spunkiness and hearing the purr of her newly rejuvenated soul, was music to my ears. I hate that we had to go through the gremlin woes, but now we're reunited... and it feels so good!

Lady R

13 comments:

Ann said...

So glad you got her back. Sounds like she's running great now! Woo-hooo.....let's ride! :)

Dean "D-Day" said...

So glad you're reunited! When I'm separated from Dixie for that long, I go through quite a withdrawal!

Willy D said...

(Me singing) "Back in the saddle again".
Looking at some of the pics, your new seat looks great. Gives your rearend a nice rounded, sleek look.Oh, makes the bike look good to.

Peek a Boo said...

It's never a bad thing to get "2 more inches". Glad to hear things are back to normal.

Miss you both and hope to see you sometime very soon.

FLHX_Dave said...

You know, some cultures "cleanse" themselves once a year or so. Married couples don't have sex for 30 days,(imagine that?) and no self-lov'in is allowed. When they hook up again it's like BADABING! They also become aware that they are together for more than just sex. I think that is what just happened here with your machine!

Glad you're back on the road. I'm having power commander envy now. Thanks alot. Two more inches? Oh my!

B.B. said...

Yeah! I'm so glad you got your girl back, and that she's feeling nice and refreshed!

Allen Madding said...

Big cams and a power commander...let the good times roll!! :)

Lady R (Di) said...

ann... YES!! I'm so glad too! She's running like she's been reborn! I seem to recall a vague statement from Big D, something like..."If you don't ride a sporty, you ain't shit". Tell him to come here and say that! Woo Hoo! ;)

dean... I had withdrawals alright. I even got jealous when Harley rode HIS bike to work when I couldn't. Pretty bad, huh?

willy d... thanks! I always thought it seemed like a big pillow behind me. I definitely like the new look.

peek a boo... You said it girl! It's amazing what 2 more inches will do for you. Hope things are going well for ya! See ya soon!

dave... you may have a point there, cause when I was able to finally get back on the road, it was like a junkie getting that long awaited fix. And to get her with improvements, well let me just say... Woo Hoo!

No sex for 30 days to be cleansed, heh? Couldn't I just use a bar of soap and say we did?

b.b... She's very happy with me right now. My wallet is not, but shit happens! LOL!

allen... I had Tim Allen going through my head while I was composing that part of my story. I always laughed at the way he added more power to everything. Oh oh oh!

I will definitely be "letting the good times roll" with my old girl now! See ya at the AMS!

fasthair said...

Ms. R,

Glad to hear you have your gal back. Cam bearing failures on the Twin Cam motor along with the pesky cam drive chain tensioning shoes are probably the two weakest links with the motor. That is only one of the reasons I swapped out my cam chains with a gear drive set up. The bonus with all of your motor work is now you have the best bang for the buck you can do to a TC motor power wise. Your choice of camshafts is perfect for your bike. You will find you have passing power now and have to down shift to pass a truck.

fasthair

fasthair said...

Damn it!!!

You will find you have passing power now and NOT have to down shift to pass a truck.

Lady R (Di) said...

fasthair... I feel like Christmas came early. Even though I had to deal with those nasty gremlins to get to this point, I love the way my bike is running now. She's sweet! Harley got on it once since I've gotten it back, so he could feel the difference it made. Now he wants a race tuner for his! LOL! I'm lovin' it! Ride on!

Mr. Motorcycle said...

Glad you are back on the road with your baby!

Regarding the while you got it here syndrome, this instantly reminded me of my very first post....

http://01mrmotorcycle.blogspot.com/2008/03/foot-bone-is-connected-to-ankle-bone.html

"Joker" said...

Sorry I'm late but you already know why.

Glad everything worked out with your bike and esp. since I'm going with a Power Commander in my Springer, it's great to hear you're happy w/yours.

Those cam bearings can be a bitch. A guy I know was telling me recently on his way back from Milwaukee one of his buddies cam bearings went and he says it ruined the guy's motor. That must really suck!

Welcome back, albeit late :)