TALLADEGA SCENIC HIGHWAY ON MT. CHEAHA ~ ALABAMA ~ photo taken by Dianna Stover
All material posted here is the original property of Lady R, author of this blog, unless linked from another source or otherwise noted. All material and photos not to be reprinted without permission.

Sunday, December 28, 2008

GLIDER RIDER TURNS ONE!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Or is it HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! I get confused about that one. Do we call it an anniversary because it's been a full year since I started the Glider Rider, or is it a birthday, because this is the day the Glider Rider was born. I'm so confused! All I know, is I feel like I've come a long way since this time last year. Looking back at the beginning of my blogging adventure, it's kind of like looking back at your High School Yearbook and thinking, "Ewww, why did I do that?", or "What was I thinking?"

My friend, Terribly Shy, initially perked my interest in blogging. She knows how animated I can get with my story telling, and told me I should start blogging my experiences. After looking at a few other blogs, I decided this would be fun. So with a little bit of imagination and my gift of gab, I created the Glider Rider and I write as Lady Ridesalot.

I never thought I would have as much fun, or meet (via the web) so many other nice folks, as I have this past year through my blog. I feel like we bloggers have formed a family community of sorts, that only we can appreciate and understand. I'm sure I'm not the only blogger who've had others question our sanity when they discover our passion for writing and sharing. We've all said before, how our family and friends don't always understand what is so fascinating about blogging. I liken it to the statement that Harley Davidson puts out... "If I have to explain... you wouldn't understand!"

A YEAR IN REVIEW
If your new to reading the Glider Rider, I thought I would highlight some of my more interesting rides throughout this past year. These stuck out as some of my favorites:

IS THE DOCTOR IN?
SWEET HOME ALABAMA
KAWLIGA & THE LOST HIGHWAY
HORSHOE BEND - MY TARA
KUDZU AND THE SMELL OF RAIN
NANTAHALA NATIONAL FOREST
HELLBENDER 28 AND THE TAIL OF THE DRAGON
SENIC 360 AND CHEROHALA SKYWAY
THE SMOKEY MOUNTAINS AND CADE'S COVE
DANCES WITH LEAVES

Geeze! I didn't realize I had so many favorites!

I also started doing a PIC OF THE WEEK in April. I thought I would re-post a couple of my favorites pics and let you all vote for which one you thought the was best pic for 2008. If you remember one that's not posted here, let me know and I will include it in the voting. Ready?


1. ONE COOL CAT


2. LONG ARM OF THE LAW

3. FUNNIEST BATHING SUIT EVER

4. CAREFUL WHAT YOU PRAY FOR!


5. RIDING THE SMOKEYS


6. PAINTED DESERT IN ARIZONA

7. OH MY! WHAT BEAUTIFUL MILEAGE YOU HAVE

8. DRUNK PUMPKINS!

9. SOUTHERN COMFORT

And last, but not least...

10. HOW'S YOUR CEREAL THIS MORNING!
I put a voting poll in the sidebar so you can place your votes for the one you think deserves the title of "Best Pic of the Week for 2008".

I want to thank everyone who stops by to read my little drivel. It has always been my pleasure to share my motoring experiences, places I've been, and just life's happenings. I feel like I've become a part of a big extended family through blogging, and meeting new friends has been a definite plus in my book. I hope 2009 is good to all of us, and let's pray for a better New Year!

I guess I'll close this post so I can go and do what we all like to blog about the most... riding! Harley and I are getting ready to take off and put some miles on our Glides. Today is sunny and it's 68 degrees right now, with a promise of reaching 75 today. I can't think of a better way to celebrate the Glider Rider's Anniversary or Birthday, or whatever you want to call it. Ride safe and ride on!

Lady R

14 comments:

IowaHarleyGirl (Stephanie) said...

Congrats on 1 year of blogging! I truly enjoy your posts and funny photos. It's also great to get your insight on life as a woman rider! Wishing you well in the New Year and looking forward to more of your great posts! I sure hope we can get together in 2009 and have some laughs!!

Allen Madding said...

Happy 1!

-Peace

Dean "D-Day" said...

Happy Blogaversary!
Congrats on the 1 year mark! It's quite a milestone as a lot of blogs never make it that long.

Thanks for the laughs. Looking forward to seeing what you can come up with in the year ahead.

fasthair said...

Ms. Lady R: Thanks for sharing your rides, thoughts and “picture of the week.” It has been a real joy to read your wonderful writings that you do so well. I congratulate you on your first year. Wishing you well and many happy miles in the year to come.

Nice touch to add the poll. I’ve got a hunch which photos are going to rank the highest.

fasthair

Ann said...

Happy birthday/anniversary! I'm glad I met you through blogging, LadyR...you always have a good story to tell. Keep the adventures coming in '09!

Lady Ridesalot said...

Stephanie... Thank you! I think it would be great if we could meet each other. I know we will be in Dubuque for a couple days in June for my parents Anniversary party. Maybe we can work something out. Unfortunately, we probably won't have our motorcycles. We are still trying to figure if that will work out.

allen... Thank you! (Gee I'm sure getting old!) LOL!

dean... it really doesn't seem like it's been a year! I guess I'm having too much fun with it. Thank you! And I look forward to bringing you more humor from the road as well as plenty of good rides. Hopefully, we can ride together some day!

fasthair... thank you! I enjoy doing the "PIC OF THE WEEK". Even if it's not a picture I took, some things are just meant to be shared! I love passing around smiles. I think of you every time I notice my bell. It's still hanging on and I'm glad to say, I've not had any troubles lately. Thanks again!

ann... Thanks! That means a lot coming from someone who sleeps with the best! LOL! I plan on writing about my rides as long as I think someone will listen. I didn't realize how much more I get out of riding, until you describe it again to someone else in your writing. Like I told Dean... I'm having way too much fun!

Mr. Motorcycle said...

Picture #9 rules!

Glad you made it a year. I've been following you since March, 2008. I'll keep checking in as long as you keep posting!

Bucky said...

Happy Birthiversary...??
Great Reading and I look forward to reading the next years worth of antics. I also hope to get together for a ride this next year.
Good luck and stay safe out there.

Bucky

Dean "D-Day" said...

If it were me, I'd spell it "Berthaversary". (Only because the name "Bertha" makes me giggle.)

Lady Ridesalot said...

mr. m... I like #9 a lot too. It' so beautiful at first glance, but you know danger lurks beneath... Boowhhhaaaaa! LOL! I had a hard time limiting the vote choices to just 10!

I'm glad you like my writings. I'll keep posting as long as I can ride and write. I'm having too much fun doing it. (Seems like I said that already!)

bucky... Thanks bro! We really need to get together for a ride some day. I think it would be awesome. Love ya!

dean... Bump, bump, bada bump! Ba bump bump bump. Booodoowaa! Bump, bump, bada bump, ba bump bump bump, booodoowaa! (Sound familiar yet?) Let's all do the Bertha Butt Boogie! LOL! Bertha makes me laugh too, cause it makes me think of this song! I hope her sisters, Bella Butt and Basheba Butt don't catch us dissing their sister! (Now how's that for a blast from the past!)

Big Daddy said...

Congrats!
You have made this year much more palatable with your storys.
Keep em coming!
As for the pics....
I can't decide between #2
or the painted desert.

Lady Ridesalot said...

Big D... that can go both ways friend. You also, keep us all very entertained with your fascinating, action packed writings. I hope to keep writing about my rides and life in general, it gives me much enjoyment to do so. I just hope I keep it interesting enough for others. Sometimes, I can just drone on... and on... and on... oh. Sorry.
Happy New Year to you and Ann!

"Joker" said...

What a great look back. I'm glad to have taken most of the journey with you as a frequent reader; you have a great blog.

I voted in your poll. You'll no doubt be shocked I went for #3, although I was rather fond of #7 too. My first anniversary is coming up in a couple of weeks and I also plan on doing a retrospect.

As Dean so aptly put it, Happy "Blogaversary!"

Lady Ridesalot said...

Joker... Thanks. It's been nice to share this ride of blogdom with ya!